Before we dive into the list of best thermal printers, let us have a look at what they really are and what the purpose is. As per its name goes, unlike inkjet printers, thermal printers use heat to print on papers. They do not require nozzles to squirt out ink from it. Thermal printers are often spotted in places where billing and barcodes are done and printed often.
Thermal printers are designed to be fast and efficient, along with being compact. There has been a noticeable increase in thermal printers and its use in sectors like airlines, retails stores, grocery shops, banking sectors, along with healthcare facilities. Thermal printers are also highly capable of printing labels super fast. Given below is a list of 10 thermal printers perfect for your needs:
Top 10 Best Thermal Printers to Buy in 2021
The EC-58 by Everycom is a monochromatic thermal printer. It has a speed of up to 120mm per second. The printer’s diameter and width can take papers measuring 57 mm. The EC-58 gives a resolution of 203 dots per inch. This printer comes with USB connectivity. Overall, it can be a perfect choice for your retail or service outlet.
- High-speed printing with decent capacity
- One can install and set up the printer on the desired devices easily
- Supports Windows, iOS, and Android making this printer useful to many people
- Clear printing like the ones of costly printers
- Monochrome printing only
- Not made for heavy usage
This printer by HOIN is a thermal printer designed for billing and receipt printing. It is a 58 mm thermal printer certified by BIS and supports USB connectivity. Its print life cycle is 50 Km. The supported paper width for printing is 57mm. One can easily adjust character spacing according to the printing needs. It gives the user the liberty to install and use the printer in easy and simple steps.
- Low-cost printing at a higher speed
- High-precision printing
- Cashbox drive support
- Lightweight and compact design
- Limited OS Support- Windows 7, 8, or 10
The HOIN 58mm Bluetooth and USB thermal receipt printer is a monochromatic and updated version of the HOIN thermal printers in terms of connectivity. It weighs 947 grams approximately. This Bluetooth thermal printer delivers a speed of up to 90mm per second. The printing resolution is 203 dots per inch. It is one of the best Bluetooth thermal printers in the market.
- Easy installation and operation
- Falls among affordable thermal printer price range
- Is durable and can survive workloads
- High-quality prints at a low cost
- Has Bluetooth and USB connectivity
- Supports only Windows OS limiting its user range
- Is suitable for only medium usage.
The Upwade BIS Certified Kiosk 58 mm is designed specifically for bank receipt printing. One can download graphics, and it comes with a cash drawer drive support. It comes only with a USB connectivity. This printer is suitable for usage in supermarkets, restaurants, or retail stores.
- Low-cost printing at a great speed
- Low noise printing
- Lightweight and energy efficient
- Bitmap support
- Not compatible for macOS- only Windows and Linux
- Cannot be connected to a mobile phone
The CYSNO 58mm Kiosk is an ideal choice for light to medium users at small enterprises. It weighs as low as 0.75kgs. This monochromatic thermal printer by CYSNO gives a printing speed of 120mm per second. The ideal print paper width is 57mm. The printing resolution is 203 dots per inch and comes with USB connectivity. It is perfect for beginner’s usage.
- Compact size, plug-play usage
- Optimum clarity
- Durable and reliable
- Portable and lightweight
- Can’t support color label printing
- Can’t handle higher workload and volumes
The H-58 58mm by ATPOS comes with a compatible ESC/POS instruction set command for printing and cash drawer support. It also supports multi-language character. This printer has a speed of 90mm per second with a density of 384 dots per line. It is a mini pos machine making it perfect for the work desks. This printer is the most suitable for sales, kitchen, restaurant, retail, etc.
- Cost-effective printing with no compromise in quality
- Easy installation and usage
- Low maintenance costs
- Lightweight and compact design that saves space
- Not compatible on every operating system
- Only USB connectivity
This thermal printer by PrinterX is an excellent choice and crafted for point of sale at supermarkets, restaurants, retail stores, or any service outlet or firm of that sort. It can be handled with complete ease, and paper change is a smooth process. Get your hands on one of the best thermal printers for billing.
- Saves space with its compact body
- Low-cost printing
- Minimal printing noise
- Only USB connectivity
This thermal printer by Shreyans is a panel-mount 58mm bucket printer. The SRS20 is easy to integrate with electronic devices using the ESC or POS set of commands. It uses an RS232 interface.
- High-quality printing
- Very reasonable pricing
- Compact design
- Head life of 50km
- No manufacturer’s warranty
The TSC TTP 244 Pro Desktop is a bar code printer that uses thermal printing technology. Its gear is driven by dual-motor design and runs on RS 232 interface. It comes with a 2.0 USB connectivity. It gives a speed of 5 inches/second.
- Scalable fonts
- Quality barcodes
- Two years of warranty coverage
- Only USB connectivity
The 3160 by TVS is a direct thermal printer with a flash memory of 4 M. It gives a resolution of 203 dots per inch with a printing speed of 160 mm per second. It supports USB connectivity. It is ideal for places like book stores, banks, grocery shops, cafes, hospitals, and apparel stores.
- High-speed printing at a low cost
- Compact design
- Small footprint
- Cash drawer available
- Only USB interface
Benefits of Using a Thermal Printer
- Can be highly reliable
- Maintenance costs are low
- No ink or ribbons make handling easy
- The printed coupons and barcodes have unmatched quality
- The print quality remains consistent throughout
- Loading the paper is easy in thermal printers
- Using fonts is flexible
- Has an option for multiple fonts
Drawbacks of Using a Thermal Printer
- Ink can be used more as needed
- Color printing may not be up to the mark
- The drying of the ink may take longer making it prone to smudging
- Labels often fade
- Repairing or replacing may be costly
- Labels can’t tolerate high temperatures of heat or sunlight
Buying Guide for Thermal printers: What Should You Look for?
Owning a thermal printer for receipts and bill printing is a necessity now. Before you impulse buy just any thermal printer, here is a guide on what to look before investing in a thermal printer:
- The resolution the thermal printer provides– Labels need to be crisp and clear. The thermal printer’s resolution is directly proportional to the detailing of a printed label. More the resolution, the greater the detailing. The standard resolution for a thermal printer is anything above 200 dots per inch (DPI). However, a very detailed and clean label would need a resolution of 300 dpi to 600 dpi.
- Energy source it requires– Portable thermal printers run on batteries. If your work is mobile, it is recommended to buy a battery-operated thermal printer so that it is easy for you to use it anywhere and everywhere you need to. Electricity powered thermal printers, on the other hand, need to be fixed and connected to a power outlet in one place.
- Printing capacity– The thermal printers are based on how much volume of bills or receipts it can print. If your business needs a high volume of printing at the POS, you might want to consider buying a high-end product. If not, thermal printers with light or medium use range will serve you right. Buying a printer and putting a load on it even if it is not meant for such workload might destroy it completely.
Choosing the perfect and efficient thermal printer for your business might put you in a fix, given the number of products available in the market. The guide to the best thermal printers will solve your queries and doubts before you buy one for your business or personal needs.